Lists for biology, ecology, zoology and botany 1, 2, 3
- nitrogen - young leaves, seeds, nectar and some
- carbohydrate - phloem and nectar, wood (structural carbohydrates)
Three species which exhibit population cycles
- Lynx, 10 years
- Red grouse, 4-6 years
- Larch bud moth, 8-10 years.
Plant animal interactions. Illustrate the main benefits
plants receive from interacting with animals.
- Dispersal by attachment,
frugivory and granivory.
- Pollination, thereby increasing genetic variation and
- Both species
must have a common resource e.g., food.
- There must be intraspecific competition
between individuals of the same species.
- The performance of each species should
be better when they are separate than when they are together.
- Removal of one
species should increase the performance of the remaining species.
- The addition
of the common resource should increase the performance of both species, thereby
showing it is the limiting factor.
Plant apparency. List features of plants which
contribute to their apparency to insects.
- geographical extent
- common abundance
- predictable and perennial
- length of time
- no. of niches, island size.
Soil condition. List 3 differences in soil conditions
between young mobile sand dunes and old fixed sand dunes.
- Low organic
content in young, higher in old.
- Higher pH in young, lower in old.
- High mineral
content in young, lower in old.